Gawler South, developed between 1857 and 1900, consisted mainly of workers’ cottages for families associated with James Martin and May Bros foundries and industries associated with Gawler train station. Local builders used bluestone from the Gawler foothills (quarries visited on walk), limestone from the Adelaide Plains, bricks from Gawler kilns, iron lace from Gawler foundries and galvanised steel to construct houses, outbuildings and boundary walls. Learn about the people and buildings that created Gawler South’s distinctive character and also its Aboriginal and natural history. 3.5km over easy terrain. Pay at event. Bookings required by phone or email.
Presented by Gawler Environment & Heritage Association